Monday, January 2, 2017

Hepatitis C: Choice of Expensive Treatments

Hepatitis C is a disease caused by a virus that infects the liver.  The virus, called the Hepatitis C virus or HCV for short, is just one of the hepatitis viruses. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), an estimated 2.7 million people in the United States have chronic Hepatitis C infection.

Some people who get HCV have it for a short time (up to six months) and then get better on their own.  This is called acute Hepatitis C.  But most people (about 75% – 85%) will go on to develop chronic (or long-term) Hepatitis C, meaning it doesn’t go away without proper and expensive treatment.

Unless successfully treated with medication, chronic Hepatitis C infection can cause other serious health problems, such as cirrhosis, liver cancer and liver failure. However, with recent advances in Hepatitis C treatment the cure rates are higher now a days.

Unlike Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B, a vaccine for Hepatitis C is not available.

Hepatitis C infection is treated with antiviral medications intended to clear the virus from your body.  Your doctor may recommend one medication or a combination of two to three medications to be taken for 12 – 24 weeks or longer.


Choice Of Treatment:
Until a few years ago, there were only two drugs approved by the FDA for Hepatitis C treatment:
1. Pegylated interferon (Peg-IFN)
2. Ribavirin (RBV)

On May 2011, FDA approved two new medications that are part of a drug group called protease inhibitors: VICTRELIS (boceprevir) and INCIVEK (telaprevir)

On November 2013, the FDA approved the first once-daily protease inhibitor: OLYSIO (simeprevir)

On December 2013 the FDA approved a new medication that is a part of a drug group called polymerase inhibitors.  It works by blocking a specific protein the Hepatitis C virus needs to grow.  It is called: SOVALDI (sofosbuvir)

On October 2014: the FDA approved the first combination pill to treat Hepatitis C, offering people with HCV genotype 1 an all-oral treatment regimen: HARVONI (ledipasvir/sofosbuvir)

On November 2014, the FDA granted simeprevir (OLYSIO) an additional approval to be used in combination with sofosbuvir (SOVALDI) as a once-daily, all-oral, interferon and ribavirin-free treatment for adults with genotype 1 HCV infection.

On December 2014, the FDA approved a new combination medicine, which can be given with or without ribavirin, to treat adults with genotype 1 HCV infection, including people who have a certain kind of cirrhosis (compensated): VIEKIRA PAK (ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir tablets; dasabuvir tablets)

On July 2015, the FDA approved two new drugs – TECHNIVIE for the treatment of HCV genotype 4 and DAKLINZA for the treatment of HCV genotype 3.

On January 2016, the FDA approved a new medicine to treat adults with chronic HCV genotypes 1 or 4 infection, including those with compensated cirrhosis, HIV-1 co-infection, or severe kidney disease and on dialysis: ZEPATIER (elbasvir 50 mg/grazoprevir 100 mg)

On June 2016: The FDA approved a new combination medicine, the first therapy approved to treat all HCV genotypes (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6).  It is also the first single tablet regimen approved for the treatment of patients with HCV genotype 2 and 3, without the need for ribavirin: EPCLUSA (sofosbuvir 400mg/velpatasvir 100 mg) 

Cost Of Treatment:
HARVONI:
The wholesale acquisition cost (WAC) for ledipasvir-sofosbuvir is $1125 per pill.
Cost of 8-week course of therapy = $63,000.
Cost of 12-week course of therapy = $94,500.

Sovaldi:
Sovaldi costs $84,000 for a 12-week course of treatment, or about $1,000 per pill.

EPCLUSA:
12-week regimen of Epclusa to cost ~ $74,760.

ZEPATIER:
This is cheaper compare to other HEP-C Drug. Approximate cost $54,600 per treatment.

8 comments:

  1. HELLO EVERYBODY ..my names are ANDY WILLIAM am posting this testimony with joy in my heart.i was HEPATITIS B positive for 5 years ,i was so depressed any time i think of it ,till one day i saw someone post about DR OSO ,A great herbal doctor who cured him of hepatitis b,so i decided to copy down the email address,of doctor OSO.So emailed him, DROSOHABER@GMAIL.COM,then replied and said he will cure me .so believed and have faith .so i purchased for the herbal medicine ,and he sent it to me ,when i got the medicine ,i read the instructions,and followed the instructions after two weeks i went for medical check up,then i found out i was negative ,i don't believe ,so went for another check up after one week again ,to confirm ,am still negative i was so happy .i called doctor OSO he i promise him i will make every body out there know his good work .please don't ignore this post,he also cure HERPES.ALS .CANCER .ARTHRITIS……

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I'm very excited to inform everyone that I'm completely cured from my HSV 1&2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it's really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured! from my HSV with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful herbalist and it completely fought the virus from my nervous system and I was tested negative after 12 days of using the herbal medicine. I'm here to let y'all know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr Emmanuel and his herbal exploit. Contact him via email: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp him at +2348140073965
       thank you..

      Delete
  2. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings to you all, i am here today on this forum giving a life testimony on how Dr Idahosa has cured me from Hiv Virus, i have been stocked in bondage with this virus for almost 2years now, i have tried different means to get this sickness out of my body i also heard there was no cure to the virus, all the possible ways i tried did not work out for me, i do have the faith that i was going to be cured one day, as i was a strong believer in God and also in miracles, One day as i was on the internet i came across some amazing testimonies concerning how Dr Idahosa has cured different people from various sickness with his Herbal Herbs Medicine, they all advised we contact Dr Idahosa for any problem, with that i had the courage and i contacted Dr Idahosa i told him about my Sickness, He told me not to worry that he was going to prepare some Herbal Medicine for me, after some time in communication with Dr Idahosa, he finally prepared for me some herbs which he sent to me and he also gave me prescriptions on how to take them, My good friends after taking Dr Idahosa Herbs for some weeks i started to experience changes in me and from there, I noticed my Hiv Virus was no longer in my body, as i have also gone for test, Today i am fit and healthy to live life again, I am so happy for the good work of Dr Idahosa in my life, Friends if you are having any types of disease problem kindly email Dr Idahosa on { dridahosasolutioncenter@gmail.com} or call his WhatsApp number on +2348134261542 God Bless you Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irrespective of receiving daily oral or future injectable depot therapies, these require health care visits for medication and monitoring of safety and response. If patients are treated early enough, before a lot of immune system damage has occurred, life expectancy is close to normal, as long as they remain on successful treatment. However, when patients stop therapy, virus rebounds to high levels in most patients, sometimes associated with severe illness because i have gone through this and even an increased risk of death. The aim of “cure”is ongoing but i still do believe my government made millions of ARV drugs instead of finding a cure. for ongoing therapy and monitoring. ARV alone cannot cure HIV as among the cells that are infected are very long-living CD4 memory cells and possibly other cells that act as long-term reservoirs. HIV can hide in these cells without being detected by the body’s immune system. Therefore even when ART completely blocks subsequent rounds of infection of cells, reservoirs that have been infected before therapy initiation persist and from these reservoirs HIV rebounds if therapy is stopped. “Cure” could either mean an eradication cure, which means to completely rid the body of reservoir virus or a functional HIV cure, where HIV may remain in reservoir cells but rebound to high levels is prevented after therapy interruption.Dr Itua Herbal Medicine makes me believes there is a hope for people suffering from,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,psoriasis,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma Infectious mononucleosis. .Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.(measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria),Chronic Diarrhea,
    Hpv,All Cancer Types,Diabetes,Hepatitis,I read about him online how he cure Tasha and Tara so i contacted him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / . even talked on whatsapps +2348149277967 believe me it was easy i drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and i was cured just like that isn't Dr Itua a wonder man? Yes he is! I thank him so much so i will advise if you are suffering from one of those diseases Pls do contact him he's a nice man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was haven herpes 2 on my private part. I have had them for about 2 and a bit years. I am so scared what my mates are going to says if there should fined out i have herpes on my private part and due to the virus my girlfriend broke up with me. I have been to the Doctors 9 times to get it treated. They all come back. I have been using Tee Tree Oil and Wartner (You freeze them at home) and they seem to be keeping the smaller herpes small but they can't seem to treat the larger ones. They don't get any bigger, but then they can't shrink as much. They get smaller a little part at a time. At least they are getting smaller! As soon as I see a new herpes appearing, then I treat it. At the moment I have been using Tee Tree twice a week and then using Wartner every 2 weeks. I was wondering if there was any other information about how to get rid of it. I am only a teenager and I hate it most when it get pi-chins me to scratch it, it get sweets when scratching it most times! I want to get rid of it so bad! DR.ONOKUN website has been a huge help and has helped me realize a lot more about me and my family of genital herpes! so that was when i switch for natural remedy to see if there could be any help by herbal remedy, i search and i saw a great posts by Sarah devise adebayo ehijactor and shanttel Merritt on about the great herbal doctor that get them rid of there disease infection. and this great herbal doctor was called DR.ONOKUN so that was when i contacted him for my own treatment and he prepared me some herbs which i takes for some couples of days, and i take it as he says before i am to no me and my family was perfectly cure for it and never experience it again. please friends if you have herpes virus and you really wants to get rid of it, please contact this great DR.ONOKUN for herbal treatment and you will get rid of it. EMAIL. dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello! I'm very excited to inform everyone that I'm completely cured from my HSV 1&2 recently. I have used Oregano oil, Coconut oil, Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir, and some other products and it's really help during my outbreaks but I totally got cured! from my HSV with a strong and active herbal medicine ordered from a powerful herbalist and it completely fought the virus from my nervous system and I was tested negative after 12 days of using the herbal medicine. I'm here to let y'all know that herpes virus has a complete cure, I got rid of mine with the help of Dr Emmanuel and his herbal exploit. Contact him via email: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com or Call/WhatsApp him at +2348140073965
     thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I experienced dark urine and ribs pain, so I went to the hospital for treatment and I was diagnosed for chronic HEPATITIS B. The doctor gave me drugs to slowdown the viral load which later worsens the ailment because the drugs weren’t effective anymore. And I was so scared because they say it has no cure, I told a friend about it and luckily he told me he ones battled same problem in the past but he was saved by Dr. Iyabiye. He gave me his contact and I reached him and I became well and tested negative after the treatment. Here is his contact if you have such case. Contact: +234-815-857-7300, (iyabiyehealinghome@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete